This camp will focus on the basics of making wood objects by hand, and through incorporating the tools of the makerspace. Budding woodworkers will be able to learn and practice new found skills while working through a range of projects:
- Collapsible, portable camp shelf
Basic wood working skills will be taught and safe use of hand and machine tools will be emphasized. The campers will be given instruction on the band saw, drill press and other makerspace wood working tools, but above all the design process and planning will also be taught.
In addition, campers will learn how to:
- Expand spatial thinking from 2D to 3D
- Develop and enhance a creative mindset
- Read and follow woodworking plans
- Practice measuring and marking to prepare wood for working
- Practice cutting, drilling, shaping, and finishing with hand tools
- Design and build a set of objects of increasing sophistication
- Exercise skills in critical thinking, problem solving and creativity
- Practice learning by doing
- Develop an awareness of the designed dimension of objects and systems
- Hone skills to shape the world through building, tinkering, re/designing and hacking
All materials will be provided to execute the projects which the campers will be able to take home at the end of the week.